Museums of Old York
We are open!
Summer Hours(May 29, 2017 – Sept. 3, 2017)
Tuesdays through Saturdays 10am to 5pm
Sundays 1pm to 5pm
Closed Mondays with the exception of being open for Memorial Day & July 4, 2017
Fall Hours(Sept. 7, 2017 – Oct. 14, 2017)
Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays 10am to 5pm
Sundays 1pm to 5pm
Closed Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays
Historic Building Tours
The Emerson-Wilcox House is available by guided tour and for the exhibit opening July 4, POTUS & VIP Signatures from the Collection
Tours times: Tuesdays through Saturdays 11:30am and 1:30pm; and on Sundays at 1:30pm and 3pm
The Perkins House Museum will be closed for renovations for the 2017 summer and fall seasons.
Self Guided Tours
The Old Gaol Museum, A National Historic Landmark, the Best of York featuring the Bulman Bed Hangings Exhibit at the Remick Gallery at the Museum Center
Tuesdays thru Saturdays: 10am-4pm
All-day ticket: $15/person; Children under 16: $10/child
One building ticket: $8/person; Children under 16: $5/child
FREE: Members of Old York Historical Society, children 5 and under, active duty military personnel and immediate family with id, New England Museums Association Members with id.
The Visitor Center is located at 3 Lindsay Road in York Village. From I-95, take Maine exit 7 and follow the spur road to Route 1. Bear right onto Route 1 South. At the traffic light, turn left onto Route 1A, York Street. Follow for about 1/2 mile into the center of York Village. Just before the First Parish Church (the large white church on the left) take a right onto Lindsay Road. The Visitors Center is in the Parsons Education Center, on the corner of York Street (Route 1A) and Lindsay Road. Free parking is located on the right, just past the Old Schoolhouse. Click here for map
Old York, Where Maine's Story Begins
The following properties are available for public visitation:
Your visit to Old York begins at the Parsons Center where parking and visitor reception are available. Together with the Remick Gallery, Jefferds Tavern, and the York Corner Schoolhouse, the structure serves as Old York’s Museum Center with educational and public programs held throughout the year.
click here for map
Named after the Eliot, Maine farm family whose barn beams are preserved in the structure, Remick Gallery is Old York’s gallery that features changing exhibits on the Museum’s collections and the history and culture of northern New England.
Whether its school children learning about early Maine life, or adults enjoying a hearth cooked Tavern Dinner, Jefferds Tavern is a historic building that sees regular year-round use as a museum program center.
Moved one mile from its first location, this 18th century one-room school features original woodwork with student graffiti, and is used extensively for Old York’s school programs.
This National Historic Landmark was built beginning in 1719 but incorporated parts of York’s earlier jail. Experience the atmosphere of colonial Maine while learning about the criminals incarcerated here and their crimes.
A post-road tavern for over a century, this historic house presents the lives of the families who lived here, from their challenges to earn a living, to their attempts to create comfort at the edge of American civilization.
Tours times: Tuesdays through Saturdays 11:30am and 2:30pm; and on Sundays at 1:30pm and 3pm
A Woman to Remember: Helen Churchill Candee exhibit opens in July 2016
Exhibit times: Tuesdays through Saturdays 10am-4pm, Sundays 1-4pm
The property of York’s First Parish Church, this cemetery is believed to contain the graves of the victims of York’s 1692 Candlemas Raid, and features 18th and 19th century carved tombstones in a variety of styles.
Originally the house of ferrymen and sea captains, this rambling, gabled structure became the summer home of Mary Perkins and her daughter, Elizabeth, in 1898. The Perkins women transformed the house into an evocative environment of old time New England that still contains their interiors and possessions.
The Perkins House Museum will be closed for renovations during the 2016 summer and fall seasons
First settled by Englishman Edward Godfrey in the early 1630s, this 17 acre woodland was given to Old York in 1978 by C. Richard Steedman to be kept forever wild for the enjoyment of the residents of York. Trails connect York Village to York Harbor by crossing the Wiggly Bridge, one of the smallest suspension bridges in the United States.
In 1867, York businessman George Marshall built this store that sold general merchandise as well as building materials, and coal. Transformed into a contemporary art gallery by curator Mary Harding, a series of art exhibits are shown here throughout the year.
This last remaining commercial building from the Colonial period in York was built in the 1740s, and warehoused goods being shipped from York, the West Indies, and the rest of the world. Declaration of Independence signer John Hancock acquired an interest in the property in 1787 when the York River was the town's major "highway" and shipping center.
Our Maritime exhibit is scheduled to open late summer.